Monday, June 4, 2007

Welcome to Beatles Week!

In honor of McCartney's new album and the 40th Anniversary of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, I'm going to be celebrating this entire week with a Beatles theme on my blog.

Underheard music will primarily focus on covers of Beatles songs. Actually, I'm going to start the week with a selection of "not-really-Beatles" songs. I recently found a CD called "Lost Songs of Lennon & McCartney." This a CD done by Kate Pierson (B-52's), Graham Parker (of Graham Parker) and Bill Janovitz (of Buffalo Tom). Actually, of these three names, the only one I had never heard of was Bill Janovitz. Interestingly, on this CD, I think the highlights are the Bill Janovitz songs. I'm only including one here, but I think the best songs on the CD are the ones sung by Bill Janovitz. I'm including one song by each of the artists, but believe me, the Bill Janovitz ones are the highlights.

The theme of this CD is to includes songs written by Lennon & McCartney, but never released by them (of course you'll recognize some of these songs that have been recently released in demo form on the Anthology series.

Clicking on the names will take you to the Wikipedia pages of these artists, so I won't go long here. You can find the album on Amazon here. Don't ask me why it's so expensive.

1. Bill Janovitz - Woman (2.72 MB; 128kbps MP3)
2. Kate Pierson - Nobody I Know (2.99 MB; 128kbps MP3)
3. Graham Parker - One And One Is Two (1.99 MB; 128kbps MP3)

P.S.: Okay, I'll be honest. I'm going to be out of the country next week and thought I'd leave you with so much fun stuff this week that you won't notice my absence the following week! :-)

No comments: