Friday, July 6, 2007

Bombay Dreams - Andrew Lloyd Webber in Bollywood

As a long time Andrew Lloyd Webber fan, I was delighted to hear that he was producing a show inspired by Bollywood movies. Even better, he had snagged the person considered to be a genius on the scale of Mozart to compose the music - A.R. Rahman. For those of you not connected with Indian popular music, A.R. Rahman is a young composer who has an astonishing talent with an ability to blend influences from western classical, pop, south and north Indian music.

I bought the CD some time ago and listened to it several times and liked it a lot. Then, all of a sudden my wife and kids happened to put the CD on again upstairs on the boom box and the house has never been the same. They all seemed to get obsessed. The CD played several times every day until I actually took the CD away and hid it. Finally, my wife asked for a copy that she could play in the car when I wasn't around. Very bizarre!

I have no choice but to put Shakalaka Baby on here as it is the one song that gets all the kids dancing wildly in the living room. Then, to slow things down, I'm going to feature The Journey Home which is just a beautiful melody. Unfortunately, despite some success at London's West End, I heard it flopped on Broadway. I never got to see the show and would be very happy if they released a DVD of the show. I have the Salaam Bombay Dreams documentary on the making of the show, but not the entire show.

You can buy the CD on Amazon here. They also have the Salaam Bombay Dreams documentary, which is a fascinating behind-the-scenes documentary on the creation of a huge musical production. The CD is well worth the money. Enjoy the songs, but don't blame me if you get addicted!

1. Bombay Dreams - Shakalaka Baby (3.9 MB; 128 kbps MP3)
2. Bombay Dreams - The Journey Home (3.98 MB; 128 kbps MP3)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Random drop in; I'm so glad you posted this. I heard "The Journey Home" last week on BBC Radio 2 and was just blown away, so very pleased to be able to grab it. Thank you!