Monday, July 30, 2007

Wish I Had Said This Earlier

One of my favorite musicians is J.J. Cale and it amazes me that he is not more widely known by mainstream music fans. Most lay people probably know him as a songwriter, writing Eric Clapton's mega hits Cocaine and After Midnight, and Skynyrd's Call Me The Breeze. However, he is an accomplished musician with a great voice and a knack for melody.
One of the first albums I owned by J.J. Cale was Shades which is probably why it remains my favorite album. Here are a couple of cuts from that album. Although I would be remiss in not including his fun hit Mama Don't from the album, I'm going to resist and instead feature the equally upbeat Carry On. I also want to feature another cut that I think portrays his sensitive side. His ability to hit you in the gut with his lyrics and music is quite astounding.

For some reason, Amazon only carries Shades as an import. You can find it here. Although the Anthology collection is my favorite, the track listing on Definitive Best also seems like a great starting point (and at a lower price). It is definitely worth buying some Cale (if you don't already have some in your collection. You can find other albums here.

2. J.J. Cale - Carry On (2.14 MB; 128kbps)

1 comment:

Idaho Dad said...

Not long after we met in the fall of '87, you called me up at the radio station and requested "Mama Don't" by J.J. Cale. I still remember pulling the Shades LP off the shelf.