Monday, August 13, 2007

Blues for Elvis

Perhaps spending all weekend baking in the sun at the Bayfront Blues Festival has me in the mood for blues this week. Or, it could be that it has been an amazing 30 years since Elvis Presley died (no, I don't believe he's working at a Burger King in Kalamazoo!)

Let's start with a real Blues King doing Elvis. In 1970, blues legend Albert King released an album called blues for Elvis that contained bluesy versions of Elvis hots. I have always liked cover versions of songs that were different from the original and so I loved this album. It appears to be available on Amazon in two versions. The one here is the one I have and is really an excellent collection of blues covers of Elvis. The version here appears to contain the same album, but has a different cover and is half the price. Go figure!

Anyway, here is a great rendition of the Elvis classic, Hound Dog done in a style quite unlike Elvis' own. Tomorrow, I'll prove to you that Elvis was a pretty good blues singer in his own right. Wouldn''t it have been great to have him headlining the Bayfront Blues Festival?

1. Albert King - Hound Dog (3.7 MB; 128kbps MP3)

No comments: