Thursday, August 16, 2007

Elvis Gospel

When I initially became an Elvis fan (growing up in India), I wasn't even sure what gospel music was. I knew Elvis as a Rock n' Roll star and the first few gospel songs I heard did nothing to dispel that image. I'm not sure I even recognized them as "gospel" songs. I figured all Americans sang about Jesus no matter what their genre of music.

As a result, I became a fan of Elvis' gospel works. He had this great ability to turn these gospel songs into raucous, rocking, wildly enthusiastic songs that conveyed joy and happiness without appearing (to me) to be preachy. I'm not sure if I set people wondering about me in India as I walked around the house singing (in a loud voice), "I'm gonna walk, walk dem golden stairs, 'cause I know my Jesus, answers all my prayers ..." I also loved the great contributions of the Jordanaires in the background that made these almost seem like doowop songs. Great harmonies!

Here are two examples of what I mean - Swing Down Sweet Chariot and I'm Gonna Walk Dem Golden Stairs. You don't have to be religious or a gospel fan to enjoy these songs. Just snap your fingers and smile as you listen to these.

If you're interested in Elvis gospel singing, I would strongly recommend this set Amazing Grace (buy the album here). It has been beautifully remastered and contains gospel songs to suit all tastes in music (okay, maybe not punk, rap, or heavy metal). There is also a newer compilation (which I don't own) which packs a single disc, called Elvis - Ultimate Gospel (available cheap here). Interestingly, both these songs are from his famous His Hand In Mine album, which was my first Elvis gospel album. You can buy this "rockin'" album here. Find other Elvis gospel albums with this link.

RIP, Elvis.

1. Elvis Presley - Swing Down Sweet Chariot (2.35MB; 128kbps)
2. Elvis Presley - I'm Gonna Walk Dem Golden Stairs (1.71MB; 128kbps)

No comments: