Thursday, April 19, 2007

India Does Elvis

Ananda Shankar was a musician way ahead of his time. He was a nephew of Ravi Shankar and an extremely talented musician. In the sixties, he moved to California and was one of the first to create some exceptional fusion albums that blended Indian instruments and melodies with those from the West. After moving back to India, he and his wife (choreographer Tanusree Shankar) would tour with a large troupe performing these multimedia extravaganzas with a full orchestra and a large dance troupe. With great lighting effects, the audience would be treated to a great show of dances choreographed by Tanusree while Ananda conducted the orchestra. I attended a few of these concerts in my early days in India and thoroughly enjoyed them.

His famous 1975 album Ananda Shankar and his Music was re-released in 2005 and is available at Amazon.com. You can find other Ananda Shankar albums on Amazon here. His self-titled first album, highlighted his initial experiments with fusion by including the Rolling Stones' Jumping Jack Flash and The Doors' Light My Fire in his trademark sitar-tinged style.

When I was in Calcutta in the early 80s, I had seen a few of his shows and, as an Elvis fan, was delighted to see that he had produced a 4-song EP called India Remembers Elvis as a tribute to Elvis Presley on his death in 1977. The record store I bought it from had hosted Ananda Shankar some time ago and this EP was autographed by Mr. Shankar himself. It included four Elvis songs done with all the usual Indian instruments. It is my understanding that these songs have never been released since their original appearance on this E.P.

So, from my record collection, here is Ananda Shankar and his orchestra performing two of the Elvis songs from the India Remembers Elvis extended play record.

[NOTE: I have also added the other two songs from this EP in another post later]

1. Ananda Shankar - Teddy Bear (2.42 MB; 128 kbps MP3)
2. Ananda Shankar - His Latest Flame (2 MB; 128 kbps MP3)

4 comments:

Idaho Dad said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rajiv said...

I can check. I am not sure cover songs by "Indian artists" are very interesting if it is just an Indian singing the same song (poorly). More interesting is foreign language versions of the songs. I think I have an instrumental (sitar) version of a Beatles song or two. I'll look.

ILN said...

Great stuff!! Any chance of hearing the other 2 tracks on the EP?

Rajiv said...

Sure. How about I get the other two tracks on there for tomorrow's post (Tuesday, April 24).

Thanks for the comment.