Thursday, April 26, 2007

Merle on Elvis

Now here's a real rarity. There were numerous tributes to Elvis after he died but few that were really memorable. One country great to record a touching tribute to Elvis on his death was Merle Haggard. I purchased this album when I was in India and loved the opening song, From Graceland to Promised Land. The rest of the album consists of Merle covering several Elvis tunes and these are great too.

I was told that this album has long been out of print, but as usual, a search on Amazon turns up miracles. Apparently, MCA Special Products released this 1995 but kept me in the dark. Go figure! I've been treasuring this vinyl album for years and now I find I can just go out and get it on CD? What's that all about?

Anyway, now that I've saved you the trouble of hunting for it, buy the album here. If this puts you in the mood for more Merle, here are all his albums on Amazon's list. It really is a great album with heartfelt renderings of the songs. Here is the title tune as well as one of the covers. These are from my vinyl version. I just transferred them to the computer, but there's minimal crackle and hiss. Enjoy!

1. Merle Haggard - From Graceland to Promised Land (2.25 MB; 128kbps MP3)
2. Merle Haggard - That's Alright Mama (2.27 MB; 128kbps MP3)

No comments: