Thursday, May 3, 2007

Soulful Jesus Christ Superstar

One of my all time favorite albums is Jesus Christ Superstar. In general, I also love cover versions of songs I love (especially if they're quite distinct from the original). So, how could I resist when eBay promised me that ultimate salvation - a cover version of Jesus Christ Superstar?

The vinyl album on eBay promised a "soul version" of Jesus Christ Superstar that sounded intriguing. I have numerous versions of the album already (if you're interested, I'll post songs from the Japanese version on this blog sometime). So, during one of my spurts of vinyl-to-digital conversion, I transferred the album to my computer.

This appears to be one of those rare albums that I could not find on Amazon.com. It obviously is so obscure that it was never released on CD. The versions are certainly very different than the ones we're all familiar with and consists of songs sung by Sammy Turner (Jesus), Jaye Kennedy (Mary Magdalene), and Sam Taylor, Jr. (Judas). While I would love to post the entire album here, I thought I'd at least give you a taste for the style of the album with these two selections here.

Amazingly (maybe I should say "Amazoningly"), I found that Sammy Turner was apparently famous enough to have a Best of ... collection on Amazon.com. You can find that album here. I have no idea if the Sam Taylor, Jr. on this album is the same Sam "The Bluzman" Taylor listed on wikipedia. No information can easily be unearthed about Jaye Kennedy.

1. Jaye Kennedy - Everything's Allright (2.29 MB; 128kbps MP3)
2. J.D. Bryant - The Last Supper (2.49 MB; 128kbps MP3)

No comments: