Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Tony Brent - The Anglo-Indian Crooner

Here's something you probably have never heard. This post again refers to music that strikes a chord with me purely because of nostalgic reasons. Growing up in India, I used to listen to several 78 rpm records in my dad's collection. One of these was by a singer who was very popular in India and reached his real fame in the UK. Tony Brent was an "anglo-indian" (one parent English and another Indian) singer who moved from India in the 1950s and reached some acclaim as a singer. I think he also moved later to Australia but there is surprisingly little informatoin on the man on the Internet. I have memories of my Dad singing this song off-key in a loud voice and both of us laughing hysterically when my mom would complain. That would only encourage him to sing louder and even more off-key which, for some strange reason, would delight me.

You can find a CD of his greatest hits on Amazon here. There's another CD with less information here. The song featured here is really quite good and has nice lyrics and a catchy melody. As you can guess, his contemporary in the US was Pat Boone.

Anyone who can fill in more information on Tony Brent, please post here.

Tony Brent - Don't Save Your Love [For a Rainy Day] (2.09 MB; 192 kbps MP3)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.

Joyce said...

Saw Tony Brent live at Hulme Hippodrome Manchester about 1954 i thought he was so handsome